Is it possible to create a simple 3D model (for example in 3DS MAX) and then import it to Android?
That’s where I got to:
- I’ve used Google’s APIDemos as a starting point – there are rotating cubes in there, each specified by two arrays: vertices and indices.
- I’ve build my model using Blender and exported it as OFF file – it’s a text file that lists all the vertices and then faces in terms of these vertices (indexed geometry)
- Then I’ve created a simple C++ app that takes that OFF and writes it as two XMLs containing arrays (one for vertices and one for indices)
- These XML files are then copied to res/values and this way I can assign the data they contain to arrays like this:
int vertices = context.getResources().getIntArray(R.array.vertices);
- I also need to manually change the number of faces to be drawn in here:
gl.glDrawElements(GL10.GL_TRIANGLES, 212*6, GL10.GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT, mIndexBuffer);– you can find that number (212 in this case) on top of the OFF file
Here you can find my project page, which uses this solution: Github project > vsiogap3d