The dev server is run by
After changing the code several times, the browser is not updated live / hot reload with the changes. Refreshing the browser does not help. Only stopping the dev server and starting it over again capture the new changes to the code.
Have you seen the “Troubleshooting” section of the User Guide?
It describes a few common causes of this problem:
When you save a file while
npm startis running, the browser should refresh with the updated code.
If this doesn’t happen, try one of the following workarounds:
- If your project is in a Dropbox folder, try moving it out.
- If the watcher doesn’t see a file called
index.jsand you’re referencing it by the folder name, you need to restart the watcher due to a Webpack bug.
- Some editors like Vim and IntelliJ have a “safe write” feature that currently breaks the watcher. You will need to disable it. Follow the instructions in “Disabling swap files creation in vim”.
- If your project path contains parentheses, try moving the project to a path without them. This is caused by a Webpack watcher bug.
- On Linux and macOS, you might need to tweak system settings to allow more watchers.
- If the project runs inside a virtual machine such as (a Vagrant provisioned) VirtualBox, create an
.envfile in your project directory if it doesn’t exist, and add
CHOKIDAR_USEPOLLING=trueto it. This ensures that the next time you run
npm start, the watcher uses the polling mode, as necessary inside a VM.
If none of these solutions help please leave a comment in this thread.
I hope this helps!