I’m supposed to write down something on the bill I get?
Do I hand the waiter my credit card after doing so?
Since I need a receipt, do I wait for the waiter to bring things back?
What’s the process, from asking for the check till I can walk out with a receipt?
Normally, the sequence is this:
- Get the bill from the server. Check it for any issues.
- Give the server your credit card.
- The server goes off and swipes your card, coming back with your card and the receipt.
- There are two copies of the receipt, one for you and one for the restaurant. Write the tip on the restaurant copy and sign it; take your copy and your card.
- Leave the restaurant copy of the receipt on the table as you walk out of the restaurant.